Monday, April 7, 2014

Eater's Digest | Food for my Soul


Food for my Soul
By Tomoko
 

Many equate food with the tangible edibles, but there is another source of nourishment that comes from within, a nourishment that feeds our souls.  When we are in the midst of a traumatic storm, sometimes forgiveness is difficult to achieve.

I have shared the story my girlfriend who was gang raped as a teenager and left her hometown twenty years ago. Two years ago, the man who orchestrated the gang rape, her boyfriend at the time contacted her.  Of course she was in shock.

My friend was a beautiful girl who has grown into a beautiful woman. Everyone was attracted to her.  At the time, he thought that she was cheating and out of jealousy, he paid other men to attack her.

Twenty years later, this man contacted her. First via email then by telephone which led to a conversation. He said “Maybe you don’t remember me anymore”, she replied “Of course I remember you”.  He shared “After what I did, I have been consumed with guilt. My life has been a mess. My whole family fell apart. I could not do anything. I could not keep my job nor find a new one. I have been miserable and I have no life here.  I want to move to a neighboring country looking for a better opportunity, but they don’t want to give me a visa.

Then he said “Please forgive me. If you could, I would like to receive your forgiveness.”

She experienced fits of rage for a few days, of course this interaction was traumatic and brought up triggers. After the brutal attack, she had a hard time trusting men, and many failed painful relationships, including a difficult divorce she was just coming out of.

The repercussions of the event were still very much with her even after 20 years.

After much crying, praying and fasting, she somehow found the strength to forgive him. She called him back, and told him that she forgave him. She also spoke blessing over his life, and prayed with him and for him that a new door of opportunity would open for him so that he could start a new life with a clean slate. She also asked him to protect young girls if he ever encountered any who were in danger of such assaults. He promised her that he would.

A few months later, she received another phone call from him. He told her that immediately after she granted him forgiveness, a visa was issued from the nation he was hoping to move to.  He moved, got a job, and thanked her again for her forgiveness.

An unwillingness to forgive and guilt can create shackles and chains in our lives, but forgiveness can set people free.  Sometimes, it is not about who is right and who is wrong.  Victim or villain, whichever part we have played, we can both be hurt, shackled and chained by the experience.

My daily prayer has been that God will search my heart and reveal to me if there is anyone I need to forgive, if I have offended anyone and need to ask forgiveness, and even if I need to forgive myself.

So how does this entry tie into the “Food” blog?  It's important to understand that nourishment is not just a tangible item we place in our bodies, there is also the spiritual nourishment we give our souls that is sometimes overlooked but just as important as a malnourished soul often influences how we treat ourselves.  Part of loving ourselves is taking care of ourselves, and it's an inside job.  If we don't take care of the inside then it's possible we also make poor choices in terms of what tangibles we choose from the outside to put into our bodies.

The story of how my girlfriend was able to overcome her trauma and find forgiveness was not only an inspiration of great strength, faith and character but also food for my soul.